I haven’t posted for a while, and I’m finding it hard to get going again, so in the spirit of spring cleaning I’m just going to dump out what’s been going on lately. And if you make it to the end there’s a free giveaway contest. :)
1) Last month when Rustic Recluse nominated me for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award, I felt guilty for never replying. The award is a recognition from one blogger to another to show they appreciate what you’re doing, and it’s a nice way for like-minded people to support each other. I totally dropped the ball by not acknowledging it.
Then six days later the author of Czeching Out nominated me for the same award, and I was somehow too busy to answer that one. Two weeks later Media Essence did the same. Then it was Write My Brains Out, and big surprise–I didn’t get around to that one either. So obviously I blew it big time, but I’d now like to thank these four wonderful bloggers for their kindness, and I can only say I’m sorry for the late acknowledgement. To all my other readers, please click on their names above and check out their blogs so I can at least repay them with some extra traffic.
2) I’m excited to announce that I’ve been hired by Localers.com as their newest tour guide! Being a Paris guide has always been something that interested me, as it falls directly in line with my passion for sharing the city with others. I’ll be giving walking tours of areas like Montmartre, Ile de la Cité, the Opéra house and the city’s covered passages. More info in a future blog post, coming soon. :)
3) Speaking of coming soon, I always have piles of random Paris projects in my brain (that I may or may not get around to completing), and lately I’ve been thinking of a photo series combining my modern photos with old shots of the same area. This concept isn’t a new one, but I’m trying to find my own take on it. Here are a couple of rough drafts; the first is two combined photos of Rue des Ursins, and the second is the location of the old Hôtel-Dieu hospital that used to be next to Notre Dame.
4) To keep the multimedia vibe going, here’s a creative Paris video I found with animated typography illustrating the city’s neighborhoods. Not only is it clever but it’s a fun challenge to decipher the meaning of each graphic. You’ll see what I mean:
5) And how can I not mention this?! Somehow this blog officially has over 1,000 followers now. One thousand Frye Guys…that’s pretty ridiculous, and pretty awesome. I started blogging two and a half years ago as a way to show my mom what I was up to in France, so it’s safe to say I’m pleasantly surprised at the reader turnout. The French sometimes say merci mille fois, meaning “thanks a thousand times”. I never thought I’d get to do that literally! You all rock.
6) Finally, my Facebook followers (if you’re not one yet, come on over) may already know that an older blog post of mine, Cleaning Brushes with Picasso, was featured in an online publication called Mixed Media Arts Magazine. Here’s a glimpse at what that looked like.
I was glad to be part of such a great magazine, and its founder and editor Barbra Sundquist has generously offered to give one of my readers a free one-year subscription! All that’s left is for me to figure out how to choose one of you, so to keep it as fair as possible here’s how it will work:
Firstly, I’m afraid the magazine is in iPad format only, so the contest only applies to iPad owners. If you’re one of them, it’s simple to enter: just leave a comment below–any comment you like–but be sure to include the initials “MM” somewhere in it. This will signal that you wish to be entered. Then two weeks from today, on Thursday May 2nd, I’ll put all the participants’ names in a hat and choose one randomly.
I’ll put up a new blog post on May 2nd to announce the winner, so be sure to check back to see if you won!
Ahh…spring cleaning feels good.